Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Humans are Dead Robot Hat for the year 2000.


This hat started with me singing The Humans are Dead....  as soon as I found the pattern for a Robot hat on Repeat Crafter Me. Do you know the song "Robots" by Flight of the Conchords, referred to as The Humans are Dead by everyone I know.  I suggest you listening to it over and over and over, and over again.

As I was working on my hat, I had all of the versions available on YouTube playing. Here is the best version combining Doctor Who and the Flight of the Conchords' Robot song... as the title says AWESOME!


Enjoy the video while I explain how I created my hat and what I changed.

Again I was making this for a baby, so I banished the button in the original instructions.
I also adjusted this to be for only 3 yarns.

Stitches/ Abbreviations:

AC - Accent Color
CH - Chain
MC - Main Color
SC - Single Crochet
SCD - Single Crochet Decrease
SS - Slip stitch
ST(s) - Stitch(es)
WY - White Yarn

Yarns: 


MC - 1 skein Patons Metallic Yarn in Pewter
AC - 1 skein Patons Metallic Yarn in Gold (looks more brass/coppery to me)
WY - Some white yarn - I used "Loops & Threads® Woolike™ Yarn" from Michael's.

Square Hat:

Using the MC.
I followed the instructions in the  Robot hat on Repeat Crafter Me to create my square hat for Size 9 to 16 Months.

My Ear Flap Variation:

Still using the MC I work my way in to my style of  ear flap.
Row 1 - CH 1, SC in next 10 STs, CH 1, turn
Row 2-  SCD, SC in next 6 STs, SCD, CH 1, turn
Row 3 - SCD, SC in next 4 STs, SCD, CH 1, turn
Row 4 - SCD, SC in next 2 STs, SCD, CH 1, turn
Row 5 - Make 2  SCD, CH 1, turn
Row 6 - SCD, CH 30 and fasten off with a tail of yarn form the end of the chain.

Follow the instructions for Robot hat on Repeat Crafter Me  to properly place the other Ear flap. However I used my variation to when creating the actual ear flap.

Hat edging and braided tie:

In the AC.
*CH 30 with a long lead string off the first ST of the CH.SS in the last SCD of the ear flap. SC across front of hat down other ear flap, SS in last SCD of other ear flap, CH 30 fasten off with a tail of yarn hanging form the end. * Repeat for the back of the hat.
Braid together the 3 CHs
Knot the three tails together when the brain runs out of chain.

Robot Ears: 

 I followed the instructions from Robot hat on Repeat Crafter Me.
My variation was for the colors:
Magic Ring & Row 1  - AC
Rows 2 through 7 - MC
Rows 8 & 9 - AC

I fluffed out my ears to be more spherical, and sewed them on that way.  

Robot Top: 

I followed the instructions from Robot hat on Repeat Crafter Me.
My variation was with colors:
Magic Ring & Row 1  - AC
Rows 2 through 5 - MC
Rows 6 through 12 - AC

I stuffed my top to make it stay round. Using some old Homespun yarn that was fraying apart as poly fill, it worked out pretty well.  

Robot Eyes: 

I followed the instructions from Robot hat on Repeat Crafter Me.
My variation was for the colors:
Magic Ring & Row 1  - MC
Row 2 - WY
Row 3 - AC

Robot Mouth: 

I followed the instructions from Robot hat on Repeat Crafter Me.
My variation was in the color. I used the AC, so create the mouth.

 The Humans are Dead Robot Hat for the year 2000




No comments:

Post a Comment