Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Hippity Hoppity Hippo Hat

This was a fun hat to make. I must say, I did stick to the directions way more than I normally do. For my Hippity Hoppity Hippo Hat,  I started by using the Hippo Hat Pattern from Repeat Crafter Me. Then got all funky and changed things, adding taking away, adjusting. Since it is a baby hat... no buttons allowed for me!

I'm sure you are more interested in my adaptations than my long winded fluff, so here you go!

Stitches/ Abbreviations:

AC - Accent Color
CH - Chain
EC1- Eye Color 1
EC2 - Eye Color 2
MC - Main Color
SC - Single Crochet
SCD - Single Crochet Decrease
SS - Slip stitch
ST(s) - Stitch(es)

Yarn:

MC - 2 strands of blue "Loops & Threads® Woolike™ Yarn" from Michael's  
AC - 2 strands of green "Loops & Threads® Woolike™ Yarn" from Michael's
EC1 - 2 strands of black "Loops & Threads® Woolike™ Yarn" from Michael's.
EC2 - 2 strands of white "Loops & Threads® Woolike™ Yarn" from Michael's,

I start by using the MC and following the instructions for Size: 9-12 Months (Should fit up to about 16). I complete all 13 rows as outlined without deviation.

My Ear Flap Variation:

Still using the MC I work my way in to my style of  ear flap.
Row 1 - CH 1, SC in next 10 STs, CH 1, turn
Row 2-  SCD, SC in next 6 STs, SCD, CH 1, turn
Row 3 - SCD, SC in next 4 STs, SCD, CH 1, turn
Row 4 - SCD, SC in next 2 STs, SCD, CH 1, turn
Row 5 - Make 2  SCD, CH 1, turn
Row 6 - SCD, CH 30 and fasten off with a tail of yarn form the end of the chain.

Follow the instructions for Hippo Hat Pattern from Repeat Crafter Me for placement of the other Ear flap, but repeat the instructions above leaving a 30 CH tail on the other ear flap.

Hat edging and braided tie:

In the AC.
*CH 30 with a long lead string off the first ST of the CH.SS in the last SCD of the ear flap. SC across front of hat down other ear flap, SS in last SCD of other ear flap, CH 30 fasten off with a tail of yarn hanging form the end. * Repeat for the back of the hat.
Braid together the 3 CHs and Knot the three tails together when the brain runs out of chain,

Outer Ear:

I made my outer ear according to the ear instructions in the Hippo Hat Pattern 

Inner ear:

Using the AC. 
CH 4
HDC in the 2nd CH ST from hook.
SC in last CH ST
CH 1, turn
SC in SC and in next HDC
2 SC in each ST at top of ear.
SC in ST coming down the other side of ear.
SS bottom of ear together.

Sew into outer ear.

White of eye: 

Use EC2.
I made my white eye according to the instructions in the Hippo Hat Pattern, but

Center of Eye: 'Cause I did not want to use a button.

Using EC1.
Magic ring (from instructions)
4 SC in ring,
Pull ring closed.
SS in first SC.

Sew to the white of the eye.



Hippo Hat Eyes and ears Shot
Hippo Eyes & Ears

Teeth:

I made my teeth according to the instructions in the Hippo Hat Pattern.


Hippo Hat Teeth shot
Hippo Teeth & Snout

 Hippo Snout: 

Using the AC. 
I started by following the instruction in the Hippo Hat Pattern.
The pattern ends just below the nose holes Start by going down away form the nostril.
SC all the way around the lower snout.
Separate out the nostril by placing 3 SCs in the CH that creates the hole.
SC across the top.
Separate out the other nostril by placing 3 SCs in the CH that creates the hole.
SS to first SC of round.
CH 1, Turn.
SC in each SC of nostrils and top of snout.

This is again because I didn't want to use a buttons. 

Snout placement. Sew down the main snout leaving the nostril tops free.

Stitching down the nostril, separate it from the snout to allow the base hat color (MC) to show through. Stitch down between the first and second SC on the snout to allow the nostrils to flair.


Voila One Hip-pity Hop-pity Hippo Hat. 


Hippo Hat- Front Shot
Hippo Hat- Front
Hippo Hat- Side Shot
Hippo Hat - Side









No comments:

Post a Comment