Friday, January 23, 2015

Bunny is really Le Petit Lapin?


On my bus ride to work I busted out the bunnies inner ears. On my work breaks I managed to attach the ears together, and at lunch bunny was pieced together. (Just in case you missed it this was the Repeat Crafter Me Bunny Hat pattern.)

The bunny lives, but I think he is French. 

I know you have been waiting patiently for the grand reveal, and instead of pulling a rabbit out of a hat I have a Bunny Hat….. Ta da!


Ok kind of anti-climactic, but I had to share with all of you dying to see the finished hat. 

Did I mention I think the bunny may be French? You laugh, but I’m right. 

I didn’t have time to work on a different hat on day four. My excuse this time is I promised my sister to go to belly dancing class (I hurt in places I forgot I had!). Well to my surprise when I got home from dance, I found my crock pot full of French Onion soup. We just finished my first batch of the French Onion soup, so I had to laugh. I can only deduce that it was the bunny’s doing since no one else was home, therefor he must be French. Cotton white tail, I mean caught by the tail, Le Petit Lapin!

Since I’m slacking on the hat creation front, I thought I would at least share my French Onion Crock Pot Soup recipe. I tweaked, twisted and combined to create this recipe over a week ago. It was a huge success with family and friends. 

 ENJOY, and let me know what comments you receive on the creation. 

French Onion Crock Pot Soup

Ingredients (Part 1 – Onions, Onions and More Onions):

·         5 Large Yellow Onions sliced thinly, or into bit size pieces
·         3 Tbsp. Olive oil, & 1 Tbsp. Coffee Rich  creamer (non-dairy w/o casein)
o   OR substitute 4 Tbsp. butter, for an authentic French flavor
·         3 Tbsp. white sugar (May not be need if you use sweet onions to start)

Directions (Part 1 – Onions, Onions and More Onions):

Place these in the Crock Pot (7 to 8 quart) on HIGH for 2 ½ hours. Stir periodically about every 15-20 min. This is to sweat the bitterness out and create translucence in the onion.
This may also be done on the stove top in a large skillet/pan to save time, but I didn’t want to dirty another dish to clean.

Ingredients (Part 2 – Better add broth for a soup):

·         8 cups Beef Broth (Substitute vegetable broth for a vegetarian version)
·         ½ tsp sea salt (double amount if using regular table salt)
·         1 tsp Thyme, ground (I had French on hand but I’m sure any will work)
·         2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce*

Directions (Part 2 – Better add broth for a soup):

Add to Crock Pot, turn to LOW for 8 hours or continue on HIGH for 4 more hours.

Ingredients (Part 3 – French Flourish to Finish):

·         Swiss cheese, sliced (or I guess you could use Gouda)
·         Onion & Sage stuffing cubes (we used Brownberry, or your could use croutons)

Directions (Part 3 – French Flourish to Finish):

Place cheese slice in the bottom of the bowl, ladle hot soup over the top, add a small handful of stuffing on top to cover.  Enjoy.

Other notes:

If you are like us, the rest will store nicely in the fridge, reheat on the stove or the microwave.
 If you opt to nuke it, place the cheese on top just after the soup is reheated to melt the cheese, stir, and add stuffing.
 If you reheat with the stove top, follow  Part 3 – French Flourish to Finish directions to serve.

* Worcestershire Sauce We couldn’t find one in the stores without monosodium glutamate (MSG), so I took multiple different recipes from all over the internet and created my own vegetarian version. I store my sauce in a small 3 oz. jar in the fridge. I put all my ingredients directly in the storage jar (adjusting to taste). Here are the ingredients: 1 Tbsp. lime juice (I used the from concentrate in a squeeze bottle, but I’m sure fresh would be better), 1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder, 1 Tbsp. Molasses, 1 to 2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce (I first added one with everything else then tasted and found it needed two to be correct for me), 1 Tbsp. Rice vinegar (I’m sure any vinegar will work if mild colored- apple/ white/ malt), 1 tsp onion powder, 3 drops Frank’s Red Hot Original Sauce (any hot sauce would work I’m sure), and a pinch of sugar. Shake vigorously to mix, taste end product and adjust to taste but remember it is supposed to be Worcestershire Saucy.

No comments:

Post a Comment